Tuesday 11 October 2011

Meeting the Mings


This is not something I was going to write about initially, but telling it as a verbal story has made such a lasting impression that I was pressured enough to write about the following meeting with the Mings. Because posting a follow up to a story otherwise unheard-of would cause confusion I figured I would have to state the beginning as well, so here goes.

Starting a few months ago my cousin Davin was contacted by a lady claiming to be his long lost relative. The reason Davin was contacted is because his mother (My Aunt) had co-written two books on our family history which this woman had heard about and wanted copies of (Davin is in possession of the only UK stock).
Actually whilst I am at it, for those who wish to purchase one, or perhaps even both books about the history of my mother’s family please leave a comment – I will make sure some of the proceeds of your purchase go to good causes – namely me.

Anyway, Davin being the wonderful person he is opted after some correspondence with this lady to meet up. He also volunteered our house as the meeting place and gave her our address and a date to meet.
My family on my mother’s side is quite large - she was one of 7 brothers and sisters and her mother and father had even more siblings (I think) for the most part we are very close. The family is of Chinese decent, but emigrated from China to British Guyana (in South America) several generations ago. My mother’s generation immigrated to England and from there most of my uncles and aunts to Canada.

In the UK there are not many of us left, either from emigration or more permanent reasons. So on the day of the meeting the entire British contingent, me, my sister Daisy, my mother, Davin, my Auntie Denise and Vicky were excitedly (actually not the case for Me, Vicky and Daisy) awaiting the arrival of our missing branch of the family – the Mings. 

The morning conversation was animated, how could a complete section of our family be lost? Especially as the lady who contacted us (Peggy-Sue Ming) had alluded to her family being quite large. After much arguing it was decided that the only possible link could be a missing child – family legend has it that a child was lost in the move between China and Guyana, presumably thrown overboard or something.
The doorbell rang, as the nearest to the door and the least interested in the current argument I answered it.
On our doorstep were two of the largest black chaps I had seen outside a rap video. With limited time to think the first thing through my mind was bugger, should have applied for the shotgun licence earlier and where the fuck is my wallet? 

After a pause I realised I had not been stabbed, and behind the bruisers was a lady and an elderly man who looked kind of like Morgan Freeman but older, and ever so slightly Chinese except without those weird black things on Morgan’s face (what are those anyway?). Then I noticed the lady looked like Morgan Freeman a little bit too, but less Chinese. Then I noticed that the two chaps bore no resemblance to any Chinaman. Then I noticed I had been stood there quite some time and not said anything.
My family responded in much the same way as me, except with what I hope was less grace and poise.


The Mings had arrived, and they were not what we expected…

It turns out an ancestor of ours had married a black suitor, resulting in the Ming family becoming a branch on an already large tree. Except this branch had fallen from the tree (segregation was a very real thing then) and not been seen again until their patriarch, Peggy-Sue Ming (The lady at our door) had decided to trace their roots.
To add slightly more awkwardness, this is a Sunday, specifically the Sunday after and during the London riots. The Mings of course hail from Tottenham, where else.
They had turned up in a recent BMW 5 series, albeit a diesel one. I didn’t ask to see the receipt for their shoes or the car but you know- I have my suspicions…

No comments:

Post a Comment