Tuesday 17 January 2012

Skiboarding 2012 day 4 - Quite possibly the most fun you can have in 6km

I know what your thinking, another miserable day with more injuries and dropouts - well it was, but without the misery.
Today I awoke feeling very nearly human, except my nose feels full of razorblades (Still entirely Chris's fault). We were to meet at 0930 again, except Chris who had left at 0900 like the keeno he is. Like a fool I was downstairs at 0930, having rushed out of the apartment I had to eat my breakfast cereal whilst putting my boots on. Stubby, Jane, Steve and Dom arrived only just late, at 0945 - Crispy, Phil and Scott had turned up downstairs by 1000. Still, it gave me time to finish my breakfast and deposit the rubbish in Stubby's hood whilst he wasn't paying attention.
We skiied on the other side of the mountain today, and over into the second valley - for the first time making use of our Three Valleys passes. It was a fast flowing morning for the A team, now joined by Scott and for a short time Vicky. All too soon it ws time to return to our valley and meet everyone for lunch. After a very very long lunch we took a group decision to try the toboggan run, by the time we gathered at the toboggan rental shack it was five minutes to three, and it shut at three so we were only able to get a single run on the toboggans in.
Frankly, before any of you die you should take a flimsy plastic tray with 'brakes' which do nothing of the sort and simply hurl yourself off a mountain. Not a small hill like those found in England, but a full on, snow covered mountain like the ones we are currently say on.
Some figures to bore you, the Val Thorens toboggan run takes over an hour to complete, it is 6km long and goes from 3000 metres above sea level to 2300 metres. For those of you with math skill on a par with an infant (like mine) that is a fall of 700 metres, in a plastic tray with no true way to steer or stop.





Above is a shot of us on our first stop on the course, after a massive pileup. Sometime before this picture there is a massive steep straight, followed by a steep right hand corner on a slope you share with crowds of skiiers and snowboarders. On this first corner of the course, on the widest corner of the track, whoever was in the lead at that point had an accident, causing a massive pile up that I, with my immense toboggan control avoided. Only whilst dodging all my fallen comrades I fatally turned too sharply, causing a spectacular barrel roll and tipping me from my chariot.
This set the tone for the rest of the course, much falling, much lack of control, far too much giggling. Words truely cannot describe the epicness of the fun we had on this course.
At some point Bridie had a big off and has badly hurt her knee, and as a general rule we are now all broken in various ways. I think its going to be a quiet night.

No comments:

Post a Comment